Winter Wonderland ...

April 1st, 2003 was the first time I set foot in Taiwan. Back then, I was living life in the city, cruising around with not a whole lot to do. A lot of free time allowed me to come across many interesting things. Along the way, a sign I clearly recall was a big one that stood on the corner of 南京東路 (Nanjing East Road) and 敦化南路 (Dunhua North Road). A new arena would be opening October 2005 ... digging hadn't even begun. Plans of living a life in Australia led me to thoughts of never being there to see it. Guess I was wrong.

Today ... well into a year over the opening date, that's where I found myself ... for the first time. Stalling in Taiwan? Perhaps.

It certainly felt like winter inside ... a wonderland? Nope. I was told we were going to a snow park today. The snow park turned out to be quarter of an ice rink that was closed off. The snow, I'm sure, was remains from the Zamboni ... toboganning meant putting some kids in a made wooden box and pulling it across the ice.

Snowball fighting was suggested and knowing that the snow was more ice than snow, I didn't recommend it. My recommendation seemed to be overlooked by the rest of the unexperienced snow players. As one might well imagine, the fight left a few injuries.

The kids did seem to enjoy it somewhat ... I hope they all allow themselves a chance to experience the real thing ... I'm sure it'll be a much better experience than what I witnessed today.

No comments :