Transfer to Port Barton ...


My room in Sabang was only 300 pesos ($7CAD) a night. It was a very basic hut and was situated in the jungle. I awoke long before the sun came up as hundreds of critters were making sounds from every direction making it magically musical ... it was certainly hard to get any sleep. I spent a few hours sitting on my balcony listening ... pretty amazing stuff!

The boatman, Dang, was scheduled to pick us up from the Sabang pier at 10am. It was closer to 11am when Dang found me and introduced himself. He immediately apologized, telling me his boat had flipped over coming in and that we'd have to wait for another half hour or so until they could fix it. If that doesn't make one nervous, not sure what would. I didn't bring my waterproof pack so I immediately started putting important things into zip lock bags.


The boat in the above photo is known as a Bangka (outrigger boat) and they are commonly used throughout the Philippines. The one side of the boat had torn off. Fixing it involved old pieces of wood and fishing line ... oh no.

When we departed, they put our packs under tarps and tied them tightly to the boat. We were told the ride would be 2 - 3 hours. The sea was very rough so we weren't able to travel that fast.

Almost reaching hour number four, I found myself more than ready to get off the boat. With that thought in mind, we made a turn into this little bay that reeked of paradise ... emerald green water and palms that lined the white beach. I suddenly forgot about the desire of wanting to get off the boat and stared in amazement at the beauty of Port Barton.

No comments :