The Philippine Diaries – Day Seventeen

I woke up around 4:30AM with a slight headache but it wasn’t bad enough to take an Advil. The plan was to go snorkelling but it was grey and cloudy and slightly rainy. I wasn’t overly inspired to go outside. I stayed in bed and enjoyed the view of the ocean. I was able to have a hot coffee in the room because there was a coffee maker and a kettle for boiling water. 

Around 8:00AM, I went downstairs to order breakfast. It was included in the price of the room and it was delicious! Rain was pouring down which was a shame. I was really hoping to get in the ocean or the pool once more before departing.

I had a 1:35PM flight and the girl at the front desk said one should be at the airport two hours ahead of their departure time. The Panglao Sea Resort offers guests a free ride to the airport and she had arranged for the owner to take me over around 11:30AM.

I went back to my room, took a shower and packed up my stuff. I relaxed on the balcony and enjoyed the ocean views until it was time to go. It was a quick ride to the airport and I got through the first security check and check in almost immediately. I then went through proper security to the passengers only area. There was nothing in the airport. There was nowhere to buy souvenirs and there were only a few tiny food stands selling snacks and drinks.

I asked about buying masks but the medic station didn’t have any. I hoped to find some at the Manila Airport. I sat near my gate and read. I wanted to finish February's 'read, The Alchemist, before arriving home in Taipei. I still had a slight headache and wasn't feeling great. I was worried about going into the air with whatever it was that I was experiencing.

I met a lady at the airport whose husband was Filipino. We talked about our adventures and they told me that they were on their way to the lake beside the Taal Volcano. Her husband had family there and she showed me pictures of where they would be staying and said that the area had been cleaned up quickly. She said there was still plenty of work to do as some houses had caved in due to the weight of the ash but the area was working together to clean up. She imagined that the Taal Volcano would be 'no man's land' from here on in. I was still sad that I had missed hiking it by ten days.

The flight to Manila left late but I wasn't too concerned as I had plenty of time to get myself to the international terminal. When we landed, rather than deal with the airport shuttle bus, I hopped in a taxi. I had quite a bit of money left and I wanted to use it up before returning to Taiwan.

I found a pizza restaurant at the airport and had a Caesar salad and a beer. I took an Advil along with the beer as my headache had returned. I sat in the restaurant for some time going through photos. I ordered a mini pizza for dinner before deciding to wander around the airport. 

My first stop was to the Air Asia counter to see if I could check in. I had my big backpack with me which I was hoping to get rid of. They let me check-in and then off I went to do some shopping. I was not able to find a mask anywhere in the airport. I did fill a shopping bag full with dried mangos, candy, magnets and chocolate. There would be souvenirs for everyone! I managed to spend all of my money and with the few peso I had left, I found a donation box.

I went to my gate and finished my book. My flight was scheduled to leave at 11:15PM. Around 8:00PM, I got an email from Air Asia saying my flight had been cancelled due to a malfunction and that we'd be departing the following day at midnight and would arrive on Monday at 2:15AM. I panicked but noticed that no one else seemed too bothered. There were a ton of people at the gate already. 

I observed people for some time waiting for any reactions. I noticed the sign board changed from showing 11:00PM to not showing anything at all. I was not going to be happy if I had to spend another full day and evening in Manila. I imagine Air Asia wouldn't be paying to put us up in a hotel. The flight details also suggested that the new flight was going to be 26 hours. How is that even possible? 

I checked the Manila airport website and the flight was showing as scheduled. I also googled the flight and it was showing as scheduled but running forty minutes late. I went to find the sign board listing all the departing flights and it showed that the flight would be leaving at midnight. I was relieved. At this point, I just wanted to get home.

The flight started boarding just before midnight and we were on our way. I managed to nod off for an hour or so on the quick flight home. My driver was waiting for me at 2:30AM with a hot coffee! Love him! When I got home, I dropped my stuff on the floor, grabbed a quick shower and headed into the comforts of my own bed with my purring cat! It was nice to be home ... just in time for a forced and unpaid two week vacation due to Coronavirus. 

No comments :