Temples of Cambodia ...

I've sat down on numerous occasions to write this story, but it's hard to come up with the right words to express exactly how I was feeling on that particular day. I do recall my first thought. That being, I should have allowed myself more time ... I don't really think I understood the massiveness of what I was about to be introduced to.




The ride through the jungle I thought to be breathtaking until we had reached our final destination, Angkor Wat. Awe overwhelmingly consumed me. I felt like I had been removed from the world and placed in a far away land that couldn't possibly have existed.

I love Wikipedia ... The outer wall of Angkor encloses a space of 820,000 square metres, that's 203 acres ... the wall is 1025m by 802m and is 4.5m high. It is surrounded by a 30m apron of open ground and a 190m wide moat. The initial design and construction of the temple took place in the first half of the 12th century. It was built as the king's state temple and capital city.

I spent hours wandering around in amazement. It seemed there were a ton of tourists, yet it wasn't hard to find your own space within the walls. I picked a window sill and allowed myself time to sit and enjoy the calm, quiet world in front of me.




I'm sure the pictures have spoken for themselves. If you haven't taken the time to look, please do yourself a favour and click on the sidebar link. As I had said in an earlier post ... I hope to get back to Cambodia in the next few years to allow myself some more time. My experiences were unique. So unique, in fact, that I believe they are to be only mine.




If I had to recommend one thing to do in Asia ... Cambodia would probably be first on the list!

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

nice call on the black and white on that photo it looks great, I think you have the beginings of a real talent there jen

Jennifer Turek said...

Anonymous ??... I know who this must be ... I hope I have the 'beginnings' of something here ... teehee. Thanks for the words, friend.