Monday July 3rd, 2006

I found myself at 文化大學 (Wen Hua University) the other day. It seems I have one of two options. One, I can go back to the start of the first book, chapter one ... yawn ... or two, I can enroll in the second semester which starts at chapter ten. I do believe practice from somewhere around the middle of the book would be a good thing, so option two seems to be the way to go. The thing is ... writing, reading, speaking and listening are in the curriculum. I am thankful now for having taken the time to learn to read ... but writing?




So ... this is the start. My two language exchange partners and I have stopped studying the second book. We are still reading, according to the library, preschool level books ... some of them are absolutely hilarious. As you can see from the above pic, my writing also looks like that of a preschooler. You gotta start somewhere, right?

I have three months to learn about 200+ characters. It's going to be time consuming with lots of eraser shavings but I think it can be done.

In saying that, I am looking for some help. Friends, family, any eyes out there ... who knows of someone that can speak and write traditional Chinese living in the Hamilton, ON or Vancouver/Victoria, BC areas? Someone that might be willing to give me a few hours a week for the month of August to help me with my writing. I'll buy the coffee ... anyone? ... Bueller?

4 comments :

Anonymous said...

Jenn
I think that your chinese characters are very well done...I should I know nothing of them, but they look mighty good to me. I am working on finding some Chinese speaking coffe buddies here in Victoria...

Jennifer Turek said...

Thanks so much ... I appreciate the help!

J-Mo said...

I'm still having a tough time with English, nevermind traditional Chinese

Jennifer Turek said...

No worries ... if you know of anyone ....