Monday October 9th, 2006

All of a sudden I have so much to say, I can't even decide where to begin. I thought I kind of had an idea of what 香港 (Hong Kong) was going to be like before I got there ... upon my arrival, I realized I didn't really know that much.

Let's get a few facts on the go according to old faithful. HK has an area which is about 1,100 square kilometres ... it covers Hong Kong Island, the Kowloon Peninsula and the New Territories. Within, one will find themselves stumbling into 6.8 million people.


English is spoken very well almost everywhere you go. With signs in Traditional Chinese and English on every corner to guide the way ... one could hardly get lost. Now, if one could only get through all the people. It seems to me that HK builds up rather than out ... I suppose there isn't much room to go anywhere else but up. All of the city buses are double deckers. That should tell you something.


Tall forests of residential buildings stand all over the city. At the stoplights, I would find myself counting the stories. As the bus would pull away, I'd find myself at about 30 flights or so and sometimes that was just over halfway. I tried to get some photos, but it was next to impossible.



I didn't spend much time in the city ... with so much to do and so little time, I wasn't about to waste time shopping for stuff I don't really need.

I did take the tram up The Peak on Saturday evening. The sights were beautiful from way up there. My camera doesn't take great night photos, so it was hard to get a good shot. This gives you somewhat of an idea.


So ... this is the start of a few stories to come. New albums will be posted in the next day or so, I'm sure. Today is a holiday as is tomorrow. Eyes posted.

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

Jenn
These pictures are cool and awesome...you have a knack for getting your pictures bang on. If not as spectacular as Florida Disney, it still seems pretty cool...do you wish some day to go back to Florida and see if it is as impressive as you remember...hmmm...good thought, huh?

Jennifer Turek said...

Thank you! It was a pretty cool thing ... and sure, I'd love to go back to FL one day to check it out!