Saturday March 24th, 2007

I had my first scooter accident today. I have a bit of a swollen ankle and a bruise or two, but it's all good. I was about 10cms away from hitting a little girl which really shook me up. I tend to forget that kids don't understand the concept of looking both ways before crossing busy intersections. Just as adults don't stop and look before pulling out of lanes and alleys ... unbelievable. The thing that got me was that it was her mother that sent her running across the street without even a glance.

Thankfully I was paying attention and wasn't going too fast. I can't say the same for the person behind me ... funny that ... he smacked right into the back of my bike thus causing it to fall over. He looked at me and my fallen scooter and says 没事 ... meaning no problem and drives away. What the?

Unfortunately for him, he pulled over in front of CKids Kindergarten which was exactly where I was heading. I stopped in front of him and asked him 你還好嗎? Again, 没事, 没事. I tried to explain 那裡有一個小女孩, but he cut me off and said 知道, 知道. At this point my boss came out front to ask what the problem was. He didn't say much to her either, just drove away quickly. He was a pizza delivery guy, so perhaps the thirty minutes or it's free rule applies here?

Photo by: mileena

All and all, it was a bit of a wake up call ... that situation could have ended up much, much worse. How is one supposed to be careful when you have no idea what life is going to throw at you?

Seven more sleeps until I find myself hopping that flight ... I've been reading that on Tioman Island there are few roads and local transport is by boat and 4WD ... sweet!

1 comment :

Anonymous said...

Jenn
Wow, I am so relieved that you weren't hurt. Knowing how those millions of crazy drivers zoom in and out over there makes it more of a miracle. A holiday away from busy traffic, kids and chinese lessons is just what the doctor ordered...have fun.