The Charity Bus ...

5:45am ... it was pouring rain as I ventured out. Hard to see what the bus looked like due to the darkness (El Nido is powered from generators and all were off) ... from the inside one could see it was extremely old.


I picked the seat in front as it offered the most leg room. The roads twisted and turned for the first few hours. This little bus could tear around a curve ... I held on for my life.

Our first 5 minute bathroom break happened after hour four. We stopped on the two lane highway where everything stood open. The boys got out and picked various spots along the road ... the overnight bus ride in Vietnam was all too clear in my mind ... at least in Vietnam it was dark. Here ... day as day could be. I made the decision of waiting it out.

Not even an hour later, we made a quick stop with, somewhat, proper bathrooms. I had a look on my map and it seemed that we were quite close. With it being the 11 o'clock hour, I was surprised.


The bus had four workers ... two guys sat on top to haul luggage on and off ... the others were bell ringers, perhaps?! A 10 peso coin that tapped twice on one of the steel poles got the driver to stop and start. The bus would come to this instant screeching stop ... it kind of made me feel like I was in a cartoon. Imagine this little bus, flying around corners, a big ball of dust trailing behind ... funny.

Each village we passed presented people that wandered the street with a live chicken tucked under an arm ... the legs of the chickens tied. It was a Sunday, I suppose ... talk about a fresh dinner.

Quite suddenly, we were in Puerto Princesa. $300 pesos ($7 CAD) for a 6.5 hour trip. I was thankful of making it in one piece. They made me get out at a gas station and as I stood there unsure of what to do, I made my way towards the people ... someone had to be able to offer some help ...

No comments :