Friday November 28th, 2008


We celebrated Thanksgiving at work on Thursday. I have fifteen co-workers. Everyone was asked to bring in a dish to contribute. The turkey was provided by the school. I brought in mashed potatoes. It was the only thing that was remotely close to a traditional dinner. The rest of the dishes contained noodles, squid and shrimp, among other things. I ate my turkey and mashed potatoes with chopsticks. I don't think much more needs to be said here. It was enjoyable, don't get me wrong. It's just ... it wasn't hot, there was no gravy ... it didn't come close to home!

The news has been real depressing as of late. I've been reading about recessions and unemployment. And here I am trying to take three months off work. I wonder if I shouldn't be like everyone else and hang on to my paying job while I've got it and hoard my money. Money is made to be spent though, isn't it?

The news of Mumbai has been a bit of an eye opener. I want to see the world more than anything but I don't want to put my life at risk. The terrorists seem to be targeting things I am not, but openly firing in the train stations with AK-47s is scary stuff. I have an appointment to see a travel doctor on Tuesday to discuss any vaccinations I may require. I wonder what the doctor will say when I tell him where I plan to travel in two months time.

I guess there is a possibility that I may not be allowed to enter the country. With a new roommate moving in in less than a month, I am determined to go on this trip. Having someone to watch over the cats, an opportunity like this may not present itself again for a number of years. There are plenty of places I'd like to see. Perhaps I should start looking into other options.

It's been a busy week. I am off with some ginger tea, the news and some thoughts ...

3 comments :

Anonymous said...

Jenn
This blog certainly shows a very mature and wise young woman's soul and thoughts...I hope the tea was soothing and mind enhancing...we are all so happy you worry about your safety...
guess who??

Anonymous said...

Oops, I forgot to say that you did a great job painting your place and I love the colour...look at those even edges against the black and white trim. Not just a pretty face, huh?

Jennifer Turek said...

Not just another pretty face ... ha!

Thanks, MOM.

:D