Flying High ...

I woke up very calm on Tuesday morning. The days prior had left me with feelings of anticipation, nervousness and excitement, to name a few. Ready or not, it was time!

I was up and out early. The flight to Bangkok was with China Airlines. Many people complain about their services but I found the flight to be quite pleasant. I scored three seats to myself and was able to stretch out for the three hour trip. My only complaint would be the Christmas songs they played upon our arrival. It was thirty-one degrees and I had to listen to 'Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow' ... no, thanks!

I had to make an international transfer and it quickly seemed that I was leaving the Asia I know and love for an Asia that is so very different. I switched to Jet Airways and the experience was unpleasant. The airplane was tiny and old. It was packed as packed could be.

The plane consisted mostly of Indian men. There were three or four other foreigners besides myself. I thought the plane ride was a quick introduction as to what I was about to get myself into for the next three months. It wasn't overly impressive.

The plane had thirty aisles, the first ten being business class. I was in row twenty-three. The flight attendant started serving row ten and over one hour later he still hadn't reached my row.

All international flights offer free alcohol. The men were ordering vodka straight up. The flight attendant would serve about three or four rows and just as he moved the cart, the few rows ahead would all turn on their lights requesting more drinks. He would move further down and then those he just served would all turn on their lights. It was unlike anything I've ever seen and it continued on for an hour. To the point where people from the back of the plane got up and went to the cart to ask for drinks. The flight attendants seemed more like bartenders.

The man that sat directly across from me must have rang the service bell fifty times. The light above his seat was on more than it was off. I kind of wanted to break every one of his fingers to help the flight attendant out. They eventually ignored him and this caused him to become more of a ... you know what!

Besides everyone continually ringing the service bell, they also threw their garbage in the aisles. And then what blew my mind even more is that the flight attendants ... all of them ... walked over it or kicked it out of the way instead of picking it up. My chair was continually bumped and I was feeling rather annoyed at the end of hour number four.

I was more than happy to get off that plane! The airport was not what I expected it to be which was good. It was late for me and it had been a long day. There was a boy waiting with my name and he whisked me away to the hotel.

Three boys picked me up, actually, in a van that seemed about five times smaller than it should've been. I'm sure it doesn't have the ability of going over forty. Nevertheless, we were on the highway. Cars screaming past us, honking horns. I must admit we did pass a car or two so I guess we weren't the worst ones on the road!

The hotel room is nothing like the rooms pictured on the internet. It's pretty crumy and gross. (Mom, you'd probably refuse to stay in it!) It's only for another two nights and then I plan to make a move, so no worries.

All that being said, Delhi has been a great experience so far! I was out today and I loved every moment! I have so many stories after day one.

My computer time is almost up and my mind needs its rest. Nighty night ...

No comments :