Pushkar, India ...

Pushkar was very different from the rest of the places I've seen so far ... very chill. I spent the last two days hanging around the rooftop patio of my hotel, Hotel Everest, on a hammock. I'm currently reading The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga. It was nice to be out of the chaos that surrounds one as soon as you decide to step outside the door of a hotel.

My room in Pushkar was only 250Rs a night. It made for cheap living over the past few days. I now find myself, after a horrible overnight bus journey, in Udaipur. The bus left Pushkar at 1:00am and arrived in Udaipur at 8:00am. The roads were so bumpy that it was impossible to get any sleep. I'm feeling very disoriented at the moment.

The guy working on the bus this morning tried to grope me ... I mean, how professional is that? Unbelievable. Instead of a handful, he got a foot to the chest. I was going to log an official complaint at the bus station in Udaipur, but there isn't a station here. Only a small stand on the street full of rickshaw drivers and none of them are going to care. They'd probably find it humorous.

I've been reading the newspaper in the mornings and I find most of it incomprehensible. Police officers beating young kids for stealing 10Rs. Someone leaving their three year old kid in the streets of Delhi for the police to find. The child isn't sure where she came from and they are supposing the parents don't want to care for her anymore. This is only two of many others.

Coming in on the bus at 6am was an eye opener. The bus was blasting loud music and with all the bumping there wasn't much else to do but stare out the window. There are so many numbers of people and families living on the streets. Yesterday, I saw a little boy that couldn't have been more than two. He was playing in a pile of garbage on the side of the road wearing only a shirt, no pants. He was covered in flies and looked as though he hasn't been given a bath since the day he was born.

I found myself wondering on this bus trek if I'm going to be strong enough to make it through the next two and a half months. It seems that my planned trip to the Maldives won't work out after all. I contacted the people that I made the reservations with and they are no longer operating which means, no reservation. I thought it was a bit fishy since they didn't ask me for any form of a payment or a deposit. I will look to see if there are any last minute package deals when I get down South.

In reading the papers, it seems that Sri Lanka may be out as well. Lots of fighting and deaths going on in the main city of Colombo. I guess that means I can visit the islands to the East and to the West of India.

Ah, India. What a crazy place. I feel as though you constantly need to be on guard. Every person who approaches you has some form of ulterior motive ... mostly to do with them getting your money. It seems very few can be trusted. And I'm not even going to get into what I think of the men. I have a few choice words which aren't appropriate language for this here blog of mine!

All that being said, Udaipur looks like a great city. I am in a fantastic hotel with a great room. I've not ventured outside yet today and I'm not sure I will. Maybe another day of rest before I face the reality this place offers.

No comments :