Friday January 15th, 2010

Today was a funny day. It's the first time I've typed the date as 2010 ...

I am currently in the process of renewing my ARC (alien resident certificate). I will be signing another one year contract which means I am going on my sixth year at CKids. Heather is one of level one students. Her mom is my co-worker. I remember coming back to Taiwan after a year of travels and subbing at a school she owned as she was pregnant. Her daughter is now in my grade one class.

As I was leaving the school this evening, Jeannie, Heather's mom comes running in frantically telling another co-worker to dial 1-1-9. I look outside to see someone laying in the lane out front of our school. My immediate hope was that it wasn't one of the students.

I heard my co-worker placing the call requesting a cop to come over. As I was making my way to the door a lady was being brought in by Jeannie. Jeannie mouthed to me that he was beating her up. I stepped outside and saw a man on our steps with angry tears. Morgan was talking to him, telling him to go home. He seemed to think it was important to stay. I tried hard to understand but was having trouble with what was actually going on.

The scoot home was a flurry of uneasy thoughts. One would have to imagine that what I'd just witnessed wasn't the first time. One has to wonder what could possibly be so bad that a man beats up on his ... female companion.

She was laying on the ground. In the middle of a busy alley.

And the reality is that this probably goes on much more than I could possibly want to comprehend.

I find myself thankful for the life I lead tonight. For the things I have in it and for the things I don't.

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

That's so funny!
I like your blog.
Bye xxoo

Anonymous said...

FUNNY????