Sunday January 31st, 2010

It's hard to believe tomorrow is February. I can see this is going to be another year that flies by. I wonder if they only continue to get faster from here on in ... no more slow ones.

I found myself at 龍洞 yesterday taking advantage of the sun and the heat. As I was changing my second anchor for the day, I locked myself into the wall with a locking carabiner that would not unlock. I would call it a bit of an ordeal, but my climbing partner prefers to refer to it as an epic.

I had to belay him up while I was tied into the wall. He had no luck unlocking the carabiner either. I had to belay him back down so that he could go off in search of a knife to cut the sling that was attaching me to the wall. Mental note #1: pack a knife at all times while climbing. Mental note #2: do not use old gear. Mental note #3: breathe.

There is a first aid kit in one of the caves which did have a pair of scissors. I had to belay my partner back up and he was able to set me free. I'm not sure I've ever been so relieved to get back on the ground. My nerves were completely shot.

My climbing partner insisted that I do another climb as he thought I'd probably be scared upon my next trip to 龍洞. I thought that was the most horrible idea I'd heard in sometime yet I found myself tying back in for another climb.

And then as if that wasn't enough, I got to rappel myself back down to the bottom ... just to rid any last bit of fear I may have had lingering around ...

Got home last night at 8pm, ate and could not keep my eyes open. Bed and asleep by 9:30pm. On a Saturday night. A big day for me, indeed!

2 comments :

Adam B said...

Yikes!

Anonymous said...

congratulations! You are doing better all the time. It looks like you should have bought more new equipment here in Victoria. Be safe Jenn, we couldn't stand to live without you in our world.