Not most people ...

Every night after work, the taxi drops me in the underground parking lot. The doors down there are bigger than the average not to mention heavy. For me to open it, I first need to swipe my card. Then I squeeze both crutches under my arms to hold them up while hopping on one foot about three times to get the door open wide enough to enter. Most people that see this rush to my aid. MOST people.

I'd like to add that I get along fine opening it myself ... it's been two months and I have it down to a fine art if I may say so. However ...

Tonight, a lady comes up behind me while I'm swiping my card. She stands and waits. I push the door and hop once, then twice, then three times as she continues to wait. I slip past the door and it hits her as she comes through. I'm not sure if she was actually expecting me to hold it open for her but I didn't for reasons that are quite obvious. Then she trips over my crutch as she races to hit the button for the elevator. Doesn't say a word to me. I get in the elevator first and push my floor. She pushes hers and then once again trips over my crutch as she makes her way to the mirror to fix her hair.

Are you kidding me?

It's mind-blowing that one could be so oblivious to their surroundings. I didn't expect help with the door but to trip over my crutch not once but twice in a sixty second time span ... really?

I could have said something but I found myself baffled. What would one really say to someone like that? A knock, knock on the top of her head to see if anyone was present may have been insulting.

What a putz ...

No comments :