Monday July 26th, 2010

About two weeks ago, Datsun started having really bad aim when it came to peeing in the litter box. He steps into the box but refuses to put his bum down which means he sprays whatever happens to be behind him. Gross. As the litter box is in a corner, he's mostly hitting the walls. I couldn't figure out why the sudden change.

Sunday, I discovered blood in his urine. The vet is closed on Sundays so I wasn't able to do much except search the internet. It seems he has a urinary tract infection which means he's not lost his ability to aim after all, he's just feeling uncomfortable.

I took him to the vet first thing and it has been confirmed that he does indeed have an infection. Imagine me hobbling with a cat carrier in both arms to balance the weight this morning. I'm not in the best shape myself.

He needs to take medicine for the next four weeks. If we can't get this under control it could lead to something much more serious. My fingers are crossed that I caught it in time. My world would be a less happier place without the little Datz Man in it.

He took the medicine from me tonight without any trouble. Big sigh of relief. As any cat owner knows, giving medicine to cats is like ... well ... next to impossible. I hope he continues to be agreeable as he needs to take it twice a day.

Poor kitty ... (and my poor walls!)

1 comment :

Ben said...

I know all about wanting to be self sufficient, but if you need help again please hit me up. I'll be more than happy to help. My num is on my fb page.