Elective 選修 (xuan3 xiu1)

Function:
noun

Meaning:
[count] US : a class that is not required in a particular course of study ▪ She's taking several electives this year. — called also (Brit) option

We need to 'choose at least two courses' from the 'Humanities and Arts' section, where ten courses are shown as being offered. One has been chosen for us this semester. It shows as an elective but is actually required since it's the only course within this section being offered. They will open one more for us next year which gives us the two we need. Thrilled that I'm able to "choose" those classes.

Being allowed two electives this semester, two were offered to us. Awesome. I spoke to my Australian professor to ask if he had any classes. He's teaching a third year film analysis course. It conflicts with the one above. Since they are both electives, I opted out of Modern China. This is when I first learned about "Required-Electives" which are 100% of all electives at the moment.

They can't find teachers. There aren't enough students. No empty classrooms as was told to me in the meeting. Understandable. Also disappointing. I'm not sure how much time I can spend in an environment where choice is not an option.

Once again, I'm confused. Uh-oh.

No comments :