A friend recently posted a William Langewiesche quote as her Facebook status and it read: so much of who we are is where we have been. The above map shows where I have been, but it also shows where I still have yet to go.

When people ask me where I am from and I say that I am from Taiwan, it leaves them with a quizzical expression. If I simply respond with Canada, as this is what my passport tells me, it seems too broad an answer and people inquire as to a more exact location.

Are you from the place where you were born, as this is when you first entered the world?

Are you from the place where you grew up, no matter how far removed you may now be? What if where you grew up is a place that you have been gone from for almost as long as the time that had been spent there growing up?

What about the place where you currently reside or those special places in between?

Shouldn't where you are from be the place where your job is, where your friends are and where all your worldly possessions can be found?

So much of who we are is where we have been. True.