Day 9 and 10 — Nanjing City ...

Day 9 started with a delicious breakfast. There is a lady that does up Indian Dosa type wraps and adds an egg, peanuts, cilantro and crispy tofu. It is only 4RMB/20NT/CAN$0.73. I went there most mornings while in Nanjing! So yummy!

The weather wasn't too bad but it was certainly smoggy. Tom, his roommate and I decided to walk along the City Wall of Nanjing. A ticket is 50RMB/248NT/CAN$9.10 to walk on top of the wall. We walked from the Zhonghua Gate to the Dongshui Pass. It was beautiful and a great way to see the city.

The three of us had a very late lunch that was cheap and delicious; imagine that?! After, it was home for a rest. In the evening, we wandered back over to Fuzimiao. It was my second time there but this time I was equipped with my camera! 

With a Dairy Queen close by, we stopped in for a Blizzard. A small one was 21RMB and not that delicious. What I loved is that it was served upside down because the cup stated if not, it would have been free of charge.

Things of note:

Saw a kid squatting so he could poop on a tissue that was held by his mom in the middle of the sidewalk.

Saw a kid squatting so he could pee beside a garbage can with the assistance of his mom when a bathroom was literally right around the corner. I know this because I had just used it.

Both kids were of an age that they could have held it briefly and ran to a bathroom. Strange.

Day 10 was rainy. I started my day by grabbing an umbrella and going out to see my new favorite breakfast lady. Tom was working for the day so I used his computer to post some images onto my blog. 

At some point the rain had stopped, so I took a walk over to the metro, making my way to what is known as the Purple Mountain. Upon my arrival, it was pouring. I had a plastic raincoat in my bag but since the area is mostly for hiking, it was none too fun. Unfortunately, I didn't stick around that long.

Things of note:

On my way home I saw a Walmart and decided to pop in for a look. It was kind of like a budget version of Walmart.

I saw a woman cradling a boy about six years old over the garbage bin so he could do his business. At least it wasn't on the floor?! But, again, toilets were steps away. What is with this horrible habit? Yikes!


That evening, the boys and I went to an Irish pub called Finnegan’s Wake. I enjoyed a huge burger and a San Miguel beer for 105RMB. We got back late and I had an early rise as I would be making my way to Suzhou in the morning. My time in China was quickly coming to an end ... shame.

1 comment :

Anonymous said...

Excellent descriptions...we saw the same mothering in China in 2000, Jenn. We were shocked then, but even more shocki g 15 years later...good stories..