Pingtung 屏東 — Day 7 ...

At the not so impressive Cigu Salt Mountain (七股鹽山) in Tainan (台南)

The 40 minute drive to Cigu Salt Mountain
My travel partner was still unwell and the weather wasn't great but that didn't stop me from hopping on a train for the hour and a half trip up to Tainan. Once there, I rented a scooter from just outside the train station for NT$500 and took off to Cigu in search of a salt mountain I had been wanting to see for years.

The day was grey, cold and extremely windy. I wasn't dressed appropriately which made for a cold journey. The weather, perhaps, kept visitors away as I had the place to myself?! Or it could be that many already know this isn't an overly exciting tourist attraction ...

Making friends with the locals in Tainan while birdwatching at Taijiang National Park (台江國家公園)

Taijiang National Park as seen on Google Maps
Taijiang National Park is one of the more odd national parks I've been to. It mostly consists of wetlands and is a popular place to see the Black-faced Spoonbills. I was lucky enough to see two though I was hoping to see more. I hung around the area for hours and spoke with the volunteers about the birds and their habits.

The park was huge but after a half hour or so of zooming up and down tiny lanes, I went back to the bird watching site to see if more birds had shown up. Alas, no luck!

Before sundown, I made my way back to the Tainan train station. It was early the next day, at 4AM, that the southern part of Taiwan experienced a 6.4 earthquake causing a building to collapse in Tainan city. It was the first day of the Chinese New Year holiday and not a great way for the nation to start their nine-day holiday.

No comments :