This bridge ...

Never have I been so thankful to come across a bridge.

This bridge here is located along the number 22 in southern Taiwan, dividing Pingtung County and Kaohsiung City.

My travel partner, Vernon, and I crossed this bridge twice on day two of our trip because it is situated beside the Foguangshan Monastery. Since I was still without my scooter, Vernon and I were doubled up on a 100cc that was provided by our Airbnb host. I used Google Maps on my phone to navigate our way to the monastery.

While wandering around Foguangshan, the scooter place in Kaohsiung called to say that my scooter had arrived and was ready for pickup. After sightseeing, I navigated us back to the train station in Pingtung and caught the train into Kaohsiung to fetch my scooter.

Since I had been using Google Maps for both trips, the battery was showing just over 30%  when I departed Zuoying station, where my bike was. Google Maps showed that the trip back to Pingtung County would be forty minutes and it wasn't until twenty minutes or so into the trip that I realized I had forgotten to change the settings so the route did not include toll roads or highways as these are off limits to scooters.

I realized Google Maps was taking me to the highway. My phone was about 17% at this point and turned onto low battery mode. The road I was following was dark and empty of life. There were a lot of industry businesses that were shut down for the night. I was dressed for a warm day, in flip-flops and without a jacket. I was becoming a little worried about finding my way back before my phone died.

I did not have a charger with me but I did have my backpack with money and a bank card. I thought if I found something open ... anything at all ... I could stop and ask for a charge. What were the chances of someone having an iPhone 5 charger out here in the middle of nowhere?!

Growing more concerned and cold and now in the complete dark, it seemed fitting that my phone died. I forced myself to remain positive and laugh at the situation. This is why I love to travel, isn't it?!

At a stoplight on this deserted road, a scooter rider pulled up beside me. I asked him if I was going in the right direction for Pingtung and he looked at me like I was crazy. He said it was very far. I asked him how far ... like, a half hour far? An hour far? He responded with 沒錯 (mei2 cuo4) which translates to 'not wrong'. He did say that I needed to follow the road for a long time and then cross a bridge. He seemed amused by me being so far from my desired destination.

I had no idea of the time as my phone is also my clock. I tried to enjoy the drive along the road and thought if I came across a hotel I could stop for the night and rethink my plan and find a charger for my phone.

It was around this time that off in the distance I saw a bridge that looked awfully familiar. (pictured here) Could it possibly be the same bridge beside Foguangshan?

I found myself chanting, please be the same bridge ... please be the same bridge ... please be the same bridge! And sure enough, it was.

I giggled the whole way over the bridge. I felt confident in navigating my way home. I made two small mistakes along the way back but realized them as I was making them. I was home in no time and ever so thankful to be there.

I crossed this bridge on more than a few occasions while staying Pingtung and each time I was on it, I couldn't help but smile. The things I get myself into while traveling. It's always an adventure! Everything that followed over the next two weeks came simply and I learned to pack my iPhone charger with me for the remainder of the trip.

No comments :