Wednesday February 6th, 2019

At Wat Preah Prom Rath in Siem Reap
The day was hot and it was busy. Our first stop was the Wat Preah Prom Rath Buddhist Temple in the city of Siem Reap. After that, we enjoyed a one-hour massage! My travel partner and I then had a delicious lunch at Elia Greek Kitchen before setting off to see the floating villages on Tonle Sap Lake.

My first time to Cambodia was in 2006 and I took the boat from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap on this lake. I remember very clearly pulling into Siem Reap and being quite shocked at the state of the shacks beside the river. It has changed a ton since then and has now turned into a tourist trap .... and not a good one. 

Our driver dropped us off at a small place that was docking hundreds of boats. We paid US$20/person for our own boat to the floating villages. We weren't able to get to close to the villages (probably so as not to bother the residents) and were dropped off at a restaurant/souvenir place for a visit. There wasn't much to see or do there. We shared a delicious mango for US$1 before heading back to our boat and back to the dock. I suppose it was nice to be out on the water for a different look at Siem Reap but had I had the chance to do it over, I would take a miss of this tour.

Our final stop for the day was at Phnom Krom to watch the sunset. It was a lovely way to end the day!

Wat Preah Prom Rath in Siem Reap

On Tonle Sap Lake heading to the floating villages with a gazillion other tourist boats

Some of the residential homes on Tonle Sap Lake

No comments :