Friday January 27th, 2006

Three more sleeps until a 530am pickup to the airport. Cambodia is going to prove to be an interesting trip. I think it's time to step outside my world and see where I'm at and what I'm looking for to come. It's so easy to get lost in daily activity. I could easily get lost in the world of Taiwan, but this isn't it. There are so many other places. Cambodia will either give me that push to think about moving on, or that feeling of not being quite ready to move on. Both ideas kind of scare me. I suppose that's good though ... means I'm still alive!

I went to check out about that job today ... the kids looked quite young, like 3ish and the lady wasn't even there. I left my number, but it's a bit farther than I think I want to travel and I just don't think I'm willing to commit. I like having my mornings to myself ... I need to focus on getting back in shape this year and Chinese ... a part time job is going to interfere. Money or time? Money or time? Tough call.

Levi is sitting right in front of me, as per usual, staring at me as I type. I can't help but think about how much I'm going to miss the little guys while I'm gone. Brother J will be taking them for the two weeks ... I hope they don't drive him nuts! I have to wonder what I will do with them when (I hope) I go back to Canada for one month in August. I suppose I have a few ideas floating around. I'm not sure I can imagine ever giving them up. I've thought about travelling through India with a backpack and two cat carriers on either side of me ... oh boy! It is going to put a different light on travelling.

I can't wait to warm these bones up ... I hate winter. It's not that it's been overly cold here ... but it's been wet ... and I have to wear pants and sweaters and stuff ... even coats ... ugh. I want to wind up in a place where it's shorts and tanks year round. This cold is, just, nonsense. I searched the net for temps in Cambodia and it looks like it may rain but it's high 20's to low 30's ... I can deal with that!

Our school has hired a new head teacher ... her English is quite good. She did an observation of my class the other day and thought I was very patient with the kids and that I was easily able to control them. She said she really enjoyed my class, that I allowed the kids to speak without correcting their mistakes which seems to give them the confidence to speak out. She seemed very impressed with my work. It did make me feel good about where I am and what I'm doing. Teaching can be a very funny thing. Some days, nothing can stand in your way and others ... well ... it can be a real challenge. Every day I'm here I feel more confident about what I'm doing.

With a cat in my lap and the heater on my feet, it hardly feels so bad. Three more sleeps and then I'm off to a world that is going to blow my mind ...

No comments :