Siem Reap

I took a six hour boat trip from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap. Upon docking, there were tons of people holding signs saying 1000 Riel to any guest house ... 1000 Riel would be $0.25US ... I had arranged to be picked up, so I was looking for a sign with my name ... about 6 men bombarded me when I got off the boat ... they crowded me while pushing each other trying to get me to go with one of them ... the idea behind this is to get your business for your stay there ... they will take you to a family guest house, they will provide the food, they will have drivers to take you anywhere you want to go ... all for a small fee, of course ... it's amazing how far $1US will take you in that country.

Feeling crowded and a bit queasy due to the horrid smell, I found a guy holding a sign with my name. He decided to pick me up in a tuk-tuk which was a nice idea as I had decided to ride on the roof of the boat and I'd had too much sun ... however, the tuk-tuk wasn't such a great idea afterall as there was this potholed, dirt, fifteen minute road that was to be travelled and may I remind you of the horrid smell.



Along this smelly, potholed road there lived a ton of people ... families living in these little shacks that weren't any bigger than my bathroom ... one hammock for a family of four or so ... one had to wonder what happens when a monsoon goes through those parts ... the shacks would never survive. It was unlike anything I could really comprehend. I wanted to take pictures but I saw all these sad eyes staring back at me and I didn't want to intrude.

I only stayed in Siem Reap for three days ... I spent one full day at the temples ... they are another story in itself. I hired a moto with a driver for the full day ... he was 28 and by the end of our journey he had asked me to stay there and have his Cambodian babies ... I had to laugh but I really think he thought things were simple enough that I'd actually say yes ... his story was another amazing thing ... when I asked if he lived at home, his reply was that in the last war (not so long ago) a missle landed on his home, killing his parents. His life was so unlike my own I couldn't imagine the realities. It was great to spend the day with him ... I feel that I learned a lot about Cambodia as I had asked him a lot of questions about what it was like to grow up in a world such as his own.



My first words upon seeing the huge serene lake that surrounded Angkor Wat were something of ... 'I feel like I'm in a dream' ... I believe I truly lost my breath for a moment or two. Again ... I think this is better saved for another story.

Siem Reap was a great ending to an amazing trip. A peaceful place, indeed. Once I arrived, I felt I hadn't allowed it enough time. What can I say? I got stuck on the beach ... not such a bad place to be! My hope is to be lucky enough to be able to touch down in Cambodia for a second time ... a year in that country would be too easy to burn!

No comments :