Friday September 15th, 2006

And the rain still continues to come down in sheets. Right now, I can't even see the building across the way ... unbelievable. I keep checking the weather for news of typhoons, but there are none in the immediate area.

The weather hasn't been much of an issue for me as I've been indoors for the past three days due to being sick. I've had a fever since Sunday. Tuesday, I felt horrible. After taking Wednesday off work and not feeling much better by the time Thursday rolled around, I decided it best to drag myself to see a doctor. I can't recall the last time I had a fever. It's been four days of sweating so much that my shirt would be soaked right through and then all of a sudden, I would become so cold ... like freezing ... yuck! I've gone through a number of shirts in the past four days, that is for sure.

I normally try to avoid doctors in Taiwan as I'm not sure I agree with their practice. Unfortunately, due to the pollution, it seems that I often have sinus infections, so going to the doctors can't always be avoided. I do have coverage here in Taiwan and the medical coverage is cheap. To give you an example ... when one goes to see the doctor, you are required to pay 150NT, which would be about $5CAN. Once you pay that fee, any medication prescribed to you is free of charge.

Now, in Canada, as I remember it ... when you are sick and need to take antibotics, they give you one pill to take three times a day for about two weeks. That is not so here. One time I saw the doctor and he tried to give me 8 pills to take 4 times a day for 3 days ... like, what the?!?! After some discussion about my thoughts on overmedicating, I was finally able to talk him down to 6 but then he decided to give me a seventh and this was his reasoning ... he said that sometimes when we take too much medication our tummy doesn't feel well, so he decided it's best to give me a pill for that too ... I'm so confused.

Anyway ... this trip to the doctor wasn't too terrible. I was given 4 pills to take 3 times a day for 3 days. So now, over the past 24 hours, I am 16 pills in. Do I feel any better? Not really. I think last night was the worst night of them all. On top of the sweating and the freezing came dry heaves ... from the abundance of medication? Perhaps. All I know is that I am ready for it to go away.

Regardless of the rain and the illness, I am going to have to drag myself into work. As I look out my window now, I can see the buildings and even the mountains in the distancce. Maybe the weather will sympathize with me and clear up for the remainder of the day.

I am not looking forward to teaching so much. As I have tonsillitis, I imagine projecting my voice is not going to be easy. On any regular day, it's a challenge with this quiet voice I've been given. I hope my kids are up for some IQ games ... the day should be an easy one for them.

Levi is curled in my lap purring away like an angel, as per usual. I am dripping sweat from her body heat and the flannel pjs. I guess it's time to change into something cooler for the next ten minutes. I'm sure at that time the coldness will kick in and it will be time for yet another new pair of flannels. TGIF.

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

Geez little miss....I hope you are well soon. I come to your blog to become cheered up and happy...I miss little Miss Happy. Hope you are well soon and have a great weekend recovering. Give the cats a hug from Canada...

Jennifer Turek said...

Yeah ... just what they need ... more hugs.

Thanks for the wishes ... I hope for the same ... I don't like being sick!