Day 2 - 香港 ...

Our bus pulled into the city around noon on Saturday ... we were scheduled to stay at the Holiday Inn for the night. A big Ckids lunch was planned for us in the hotel ... we had enough time to check-in, drop off our bags and head to the restaurant. Lunch was unbelievable. Just when we thought we were done eating, a whole other meal would start to be served. The food just kept on coming.

We were served spring rolls, pork wrapped in something which probably doesn't have an English name. They served us dumplings and radish cakes and fish and shrimp and a few other things which are, in English, unbeknownst to me. After all of that, shark fin soup was served ... apparently a speciality. Now, one would think that after the soup was served the meal would be over, but nooo. They continued to bring water cress and eel and chicken and shrimp and noodles and fried rice. Dessert consisted of moon cakes and a mango pudding/jello/soup type thing and ice cream ... I mean, ugh. We all had to roll ourselves out of the restaurant from eating too much.

After lunch the group set off to do some shopping. I found things to be very expensive in HK, so I wasn't up for the malls. Morgan and I went to hang in a park or two to see what was around the downtown area. I couldn't believe the hoards of people ... everywhere. Trying to get a spare spot to sit in the park was next to impossible. I will never again say Taiwan is crowded. The day brought along all sorts of interesting characters.

After hanging around for the afternoon, we went to the MTR to hop the train to Victoria Peak. The tram ride up was great, the view ... spectacular. I've already posted a photo in an earlier post, so have a look around.


After The Peak, we took the MTR back to The Temple Street Market. It was there that we decided to stop for more food, because we didn't quite have enough for lunch.


As I can't seem to eat mullosks there wasn't much there for me to eat.


The four girls I was with ate and ate and ate ... they ordered snails and squid and clams and who knows what else ... I did ask, but they didn't know the English names. They did order dove which I tried ... it was quite tasty ... poor little bird.


After spending another two hours eating, we made our way through the market. I didn't buy anything, as most of it was quite similar to what we can get here in Taiwan and the the prices seemed to be about the about the same. We arrived back to the hotel around midnight and I fell asleep within minutes. I was scheduled to leave the hotel at 725am as some of us were catching a ferry into Macau. That is another story to follow shortly.

1 comment :

Anonymous said...

With the head and everything ... eewww.