澳門 - Macau


Five of us left for 澳門 Macau early Sunday morning. It was about a one hour ferry ride from HK. Now, what really baffles me is that HK and Macau are both in China, however, they are considered different countries. We had to go through immigration and change over our money. I guess it's four more stamps for my passport, although it's already full. I'm glad I have to get a new one in 2007 ... mine won't be able to take much more abuse.


The internet states that the total area of Macau is 25.4 square kilometres with a population of approximately 460,000 ... it also states that it is the second most densly populated area in the world. It didn't strike me as being overly busy, however.


It was a place of character and history. I wish I had allowed myself the two extra days, although turkey dinner yesterday was fantastic! There is an international University on the island ... it will be something that I will be looking into.

Five of us had about five hours to run around and see as much as we could. Two of us went up the Macau Tower. It was a pretty cool view, although the pics weren't so great with all the smog.

After that we hit one part of town with some old ruins and churchs. First stop was lunch, where plates and plates of yummy goodness were being served. We, once again, outdid ourselves. Small shops everywhere were selling dried meat, I think. The narrow streets had people standing in the middle of them every few feet holding a big square of it with scissors in the other hand offering to cut off a piece to try.


We spent the day walking around seeing the sights and stopping in the little shops to buy some specials here and there. The shopping was much cheaper than HK or Taiwan ... I managed to come home with a bag or two of goodies.

A new album has been posted. Check it out on the sidebar. I think I may finally be running short on things to talk about ... my fingers haven't been able to keep up the past few days!

No comments :