Thursday October 26th, 2006

Words haven't been coming to me as of late ... I find myself wondering if, perhaps, I'm in a bit of a rut. Going back to a place that was home for so long always presents a bit of weirdness. Lots of comforts, yet hesitations.

Taiwan reminds me of why it is that I am living my life in a far away place. Two months in, however, I find the month to be a tad frustrating. Life on the other side always brings interesting and challenging things, but with that, sometimes, comes lack of understanding.

I love things here, don't get me wrong. It's just that, trying to understand the things that go on in a world that isn't quite your own can be hard.

Take yesterday morning, for instance. As I was out for a morning jog around the area, I ran into this lady. She had a silver plate type thing over her eye and she looked ... a little off. She was playing catch with a golden retriever. Catch consisted of throwing a ball down some stairs that led into a tennis court. After turning around for the jog back, I noticed that her dog was locked in the tennis court. The dog was crying and seemed somewhat unhappy. In seeing this and realizing that I would've been up and down the stairs five times already, I wondered if the lady, perhaps, might be deaf. I mean, one never knows, right?!

I jogged back over and this is how the convo went (in my horrible Chinese):

Me: 小姐, 你的狗不能出去.
Miss, your dog can't get out.

She: 知道, 知道
I know, I know.

Me: 門 ... 關了
door ... closed.

She ... in English ... I know, leave him, leave him.

Me: 牠不太高興
He's not too happy.

She: ... in English ... I know, leave him, leave him.

Me: left feeling angry and upset for the dog that has such a heartless owner.

That has only been one of the few annoying incidents going on this week. To get off annoyances ... life has been good. Sometimes I'm reminded of the amazing things living life on the other side has to offer ... sometimes I'm reminded of the tests of patience it requires.

My new Chinese teacher has been interesting. I think he's going to be a good teacher, but he is a bit out there. It could be intelligence, it could be something else ... hard to tell at this point. I've learned a few good things already, so we shall see. We are on class three tomorrow am.

I have joined a girl's touch rugby team. I don't know anything about the sport, but practices and games will be held on Sunday afternoons. Because I don't quite have enough to do during the week, I thought, why not squeeze one more thing in on the weekend. It may prove to be interesting ... or it may not. One must give it a try, however.

Life is too short to not try things out.

No comments :