Monday November 20th, 2006

As I sit down to write, I find all I can do is stare at the screen. So much to say, yet nothing I wish to share. In a very short time, my life has become something it's not been for some time. I look forward to the end of 2006 ... I welcome 2007 with hopes of good things to come.

I'll start with work, as that is where a good chunk of my week's hours lay. Or would that be lie? I imagine one never really dissects their own language until they are asked to teach it. A long time back, one of my language exchange partners asked me about the differences between lie and lay. I couldn't really figure it out myself so I decided it best to check into it. If one were to be curious:

Lay means "to place something down." It is something you do to something else. It is a transitive verb.

Lie means "to recline" or "be placed." It does not act on anything or anyone else. It is an intransitive verb.

The reason lay and lie are confusing is their past tenses. The past tense of lay is laid. The past tense of lie is lay.

The past participle of lie is lain. The past participle of lay is like the past tense, laid.

Layed is a misspelling and does not exist. Use laid.

How is that for confusion?

In speaking with my father today, it seems he is willing to help me with my studies. I've been toying with the idea of hiring my Chinese teacher on for another two hours a week. He expressed a great interest in helping me to pay for the class, so I am thrilled. I can't say thank you enough, Dad!

I know more than anything my father wants me closer to home ... somewhere in Canada, at least. I am thankful for his offer as this tells me that he, perhaps, understands and even stands by my decision of where I am today. I know I can only benefit amazing things from my experiences here and it's nice to see that he may be seeing that as well.

My Chinese teacher has time for an extra class, so starting next week we will have class on Wednesday nights, after work. Doug and I have agreed to trying to meet one night a week. I am going to park my scooter at the closest MRT station and I will take the train down to Taipei Main Station. I think we will spend a longer time studying for one night as we are both going to have to travel a bit of distance to get to one another.

His wedding was great. I asked a friend of mine to go and of course we were the only two foreigners there. It seemed that a few were curious as to why we were there. I was called up on a stage ... which I'm terrified of ... to speak into a microphone ... which I'm also terrified of ... to speak to a room full of Mandarin speakers. I spoke a few sentences of Chinese and one or two in English. Doug ... when I see you on Tuesday, you're in trouble!

Sunday, some of the day was spent up in 大溪 (da shi). It was great to get out of the city. The ocean was packed with surfers. You gotta love that it's the end of November and people still have the ability to be in the ocean. I think about the ocean in Canada in the middle of August and it reminds me of why I'm living in a warmer place.


I think tonight is going to be an early one for me. I have most of the day off tomorrow and my thought is that the weather won't be too cooperative. Either way, I don't really mind ... rain will bring a nice excuse to stay indoors.

1 comment :

Anonymous said...

jenn
i am glad that you are following your dream...everyone needs to have dreams and complete them...if anyone can, it will be you...your dad is mellowing in his youth.