Journey to Malaysia ...

Monday April 2nd, 6:30am, I found myself waiting for a bus. Finding a bus to Mersing, Malaysia wasn't the easiest task but alas I was able to find a one-way ticket for $27 sing. The bus journey would take about 3 - 4 hours depending on how fast everyone could get through customs. A lot of the agents were trying to sell me package deals including ferries and rooms, but I declined. As the bus was getting closer to Mersing, the driver gave us some information. His information went something like so:

First, for the travellers that didn't purchase package deals, there are no ferries and no rooms. No ferries and no rooms? Oh no.

The other useful information ... don't trust the Indians. Apparently the bus driver doesn't have much tact. He said that people would be waiting at the jetties. That they would make promises that weren't true and not to trust anyone. Take all personal belongings with you at all times because if the Indians see you leave your bungalow, they would go in and take all of your things ... passports, cameras and even your clothes.

I'm sure at this point the whole bus was wondering where it is we had decided to go. Upon arriving in Mersing, there were no hagglers to be seen and there wasn't any trouble in purchasing a ferry ticket.

Arriving onto the island, there wasn't one single person waiting at the jetty to whisk me away to a crappy room where they would then steal the few belongings I had. I think a new bus driver is in order.

There weren't many options for bungalows, but I was able to find a nice hut steps from the beach for 35RM a night.


I spent 7 nights in this bungalow and befriended some of the local kitties. You'll notice one of them sitting under the chair in the above photo.

For now, that's all. I hope to get through the photos in the next few days. Getting back into the reality of the working world has been fast and busy ... I prefer the realities of vacationing.

1 comment :

Anonymous said...

Jenn I like your little cotttage and so cheap...I think that would be doable for me, what do you think?
So far, I love your meanderings and can't wait to hear more and see your fantastic, I know, pics...mom