To quit or to continue on ...

I don't consider myself much of a quitter. I'd like to think that I'm more of a go-getter. I usually don't let much stand in my way of obtaining desires.

India has been a dream of mine since the age of twenty or so. It's been my main goal for the past year. I worked hard to get where I am today and to much disappointment, I'm about ready to throw in the towel.

Last night, just after 10pm, I was in bed with the lights out and the TV on. I heard a funny noise outside the balcony of my window and it was moments later that the window opened and in came a pair of hands moving the curtain out of the way. I hopped out of bed and loudly said excuse me. The hands disappeared and I heard a loud thud as someone jumped over the balcony and ran down the hallway. I was going to open the door and peer out to see who it was but I decided not to play the hero.

I packed all of my valuables in my bag and marched down to the reception. I told the guy at the desk what had happened and he didn't seem surprised nor was he apologetic. I told him that they better find me a new room immediately or give me my money back and make arrangements to situate me at a new hotel.

He gave me a real nice room for the same price so I suppose a bit of good has come from the bad. I had trouble sleeping last night despite the bars on the windows. It gave me a number of hours to ponder my trip here in India.

I arrived exactly four weeks ago today and I've given India a very fair chance. I see that I have had to change the person I am. I walk with my head down, sunglasses on at all times. I avoid eye contact and shaking hands. I trust no one and don't speak to anyone unless I'm doing business with them. It's draining and I am starting to feel like a bit of a bitch.

I'm not sure if I really want to spend anymore of my hard earned money in this shit hole of a country. My return ticket to Thailand is becoming more and more tempting with each passing day. I've not traveled through the northern part of Thailand as of yet and I'd easily be able to cross over into Laos. If time permits, I wouldn't be opposed to going back into Cambodia to spend a few more days at the temples.

I've booked an early morning train on Thurday to Hampi as I hear it's worth checking out. It's a seven hour journey and it may just be my deciding factor.

One day at a time is all I can do for now. I feel much more relaxed than I was this morning but perhaps now is not my time for India. I look around me and see all these other travelers that have been here for months and seem to be having the time of their life. I wonder why it is that I am not ...

5 comments :

Anonymous said...

Hey look at it like this, anywhere you go aside from home will be another great adventure, why try to make india work if its not, you're certainly not going to like every country, and 4 weeks is more than most people give india.
AB

Anonymous said...

hi J,

i try to write it in English, but, it will be more clear if i could write in Chinese, and, you can practice your Chinese some times. :-)

i thought you expect too much to India cuz you were looking forward it too long! try to drop your expects into the river, just like the Indians said this place is to explore the hard/true parts of life, then transfer it becomes a Yogo's way --> extremely strain your body to feel the final Harmonic or Peace!

well... God knows, to travel alone is not so EASY, but, you used to say you always did your travel in this way and enjoy it. however, i think it's the hight time you should call your mother, me, or some people to share your feelings.

since it's your vacation, there are still a lot places to travel on this Earth, north town of India, hometown, Laos, Sri Lanka(is more safety place)... they all wait for your visiting!!
just like the famous J.H. said, Life is not to discovery who you are, but what kind of person you want to be!

愉快 自在


PS. who is J.H.?
--it's me, juliana HSU. ha ha!

Anonymous said...

Hi baby:
just try to go to other country,at least u got experience in India ,right.hope u can have a fun and safty trip .love u!!M

Anonymous said...

A real shame you have had some bad experiences. Are there any other foreigners you meet who you might travel with?

-Patrick

Anonymous said...

oohhh, honey! you shouldn't look at as quitting but as 'being done'. move along to a funnier atomsphere to match your personality!
love crystal