Follow the leader ...

I am in Kolkata, 41°. The hike from the airport was an interesting one. The airports, train and bus stations all have prepaid taxi counters. It's a service run by the government in order to allow fair rates rather than having to haggle with the drivers.

I went to the prepaid booth at the airport to book a taxi to Sudder Street. This street is famous for having cheap hotels. The trip cost 230Rs. As it was rush hour, it took about one hour to get near the area. I was amazed at the pollution especially having just come down from beautiful Darjeeling.

At some point, I began to realize that the driver wasn't sure exactly where he was going. I guess I should also add that he didn't speak a word of English. He pulled over to ask for directions and it was me that did most of the asking.

We must have stopped ten times. It seemed that people didn't know the street or they couldn't be bothered to help. The few that offered directions didn't seem to help the driver out any as it wasn't very long before he stopped again.

I finally got out my guide book map to lead him to the street. He seemed hesitant to follow my hands but I'm sure he could see that I wasn't overly happy. I had been in his taxi for two hours.

I was able to get him on the right track but due to it being rush hour some of the streets had changed to one way to allow for the traffic. That means I had to take him on a detour. He had no idea what I was saying but I saw where we were on the map and was trying to make him understand that. I was very anxious to get out of his car and I'm sure he was ready to be rid of me, too.

Two and a half hours later, I was hot and tired but where I wanted to be. I got out of the car, collected my things when the driver says 'two hundred' in English. I shrugged my shoulders. I know he spent a lot of extra time driving around but isn't it his job to know the city?!

It's hot, noisy and polluted here. I am trying to force myself out of this chilled room to head to the market. I'm not sure it's going to happen. I am very looking forward to getting home knowing that's my only option for the moment.

Not long now!

No comments :