Everything happens for a reason ...

These words have had a funny way of sneaking into conversation over the past couple of months. They aren't being spoken by me but to me, by others, as if to reiterate importance.

Is there truth in these words?

Perhaps ...

The more I think about my broken leg and the events leading up to it ... it makes sense. My current situation has helped to solve some things in which I wasn't quite sure how to go about handling. I'm not sure I needed something SOOO extreme. I am, however, trying to see the humor in all of this.

Frustration and feelings of depression started to kick in on Friday upon the realization that I would be unable to resume back to somewhat regular activities after the weekend. I slept two days away, which was actually needed, before forcing myself not to fall into a trap.

Yes, a broken leg renders one useless. Being useless is something I strive not to be.

Yes, a broken leg takes away one's independence. I've been independent from the time I understood what it meant to be independent.

And yes, a broken leg definitely tests one's patience. Taking a moment to breathe has helped to get things done.

But all that being said, a broken leg allows one time. I recall asking for time more often than not since the start of this year. Ask and you shall receive. I'm not sure this is quite what I had in mind, but I will take it as it is.

I can read a book cover to cover in one day if I want. I can watch two movies back to back. I can spend quality time with my cats as I hear time spent with cats is never wasted. I can enjoy the company of friends who drop by for visits. Some even bring cookies!

So, as I hobble around my apartment, I remain focused on the positive and remind myself to appreciate this as the temporary situation it is.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger ~ Friedrich Nietzsche

2 comments :

Stripe said...

Some things just happen because of dumb luck. It pays not to become too superstitious about it. :)

Jennifer Turek said...

Yeah ... you are probably right, Grant! It was just something to write about!