On the road to recovery ...

Today has been interesting. I made my way out of the house for the first time since arriving home from the hospital. I had an appointment to see the doctor. The good news is that there wasn't much pain during the journey there and back. I was tired upon returning but things look promising for me to get back into some work next week. There are no sick leave benefits at my job so I am quite eager to start things up.

Left ankle ... two small incisions, three staples per incision ... gone. If you look at the top of my shin, you can see part of the incision that contained seven stitches ... note the past tense! My ankle is still quite bruised and swollen. It was hard to get a good shot ... this is as good as it gets ...


Left knee ... one small incision, four staples ... gone. There is a longer incision over the top of my kneecap which you can't quite make out ... eight staples ... gone! They've replaced the staples and stitches with tape that will be changed next week ... they say it will make the scars 'more beautiful'. Ha! I bet!

My body has been used and abused well during this lifetime. Something tells me this isn't the last of it either. Work hard, play hard ... a great motto to live by!

While at the hospital, the doctor showed me the x-ray of the pin in my leg. Talk about unreal. The night it broke, everything happened so quick, it was a bit of a blur. I couldn't really understand why nothing else was bruised on my body if I had landed so hard on the ground. In fact, there was no jumping involved, only a severe twist, according to my friends.

It was indeed a twist which the doctor confirmed today. The tibia twisted, making a clean break which caused it to bump the fibula hence the fracture up close to my knee. The pin is still unbelievable to me. I will take my camera to the hospital next Wednesday as I am due to go back for some x-rays. I will ask the doctor if I can photograph the x-ray with the pin ... fingers crossed to him agreeing.

Four more days of being housebound ... I will be happy to get back into studies and work and life, even if it's only part time. Although something tells me by mid next week I'll be wishing I was back to being housebound! Isn't that always the way ...

6 comments :

adam said...

eh, whats a few more scars..they remind us of who we are..

Jennifer Turek said...

exactly ... behind every scar is a story ...

Admayng said...

Are you gonna be back to work already next week?
That's pretty quick! (Ad G.)

Jennifer Turek said...

Do you really think it's too quick? I don't know what to do, to be honest. Pretty sore today and no pain medicine to ease it ... I will think about it ... thanks for the suggestion.

Kerry said...

Oh Jen!! Although I'm no stranger to scarred legs (had to give up my modelling career years ago.. haha) that looks quite nasty! Make sure you do what's best for you. Know much love is sent from Canada. Stay strong and get well quick.

Jennifer Turek said...

It's not as bad as it looks ... I hope ... I'm no stranger to scars anyway ... much appreciated, Ker ... xo