A turn of events …

Life can be real funny sometimes. My focus over the past year has been about living in the moment. Understanding that what’s happened in the past cannot change in the present. Knowing that things said in current moments will not make any difference to what’s already behind us. The future remains a mystery and making plans seems unnecessary as we can’t control the unknowns of tomorrow.

2010 has brought challenge. It has been testing my strengths and allowing me to see my weaknesses. It’s guiding me to reevaluate the things I do and the decisions I make. This is the second time since the start of the year that I feel my life has been turned upside down. Just as I was starting to feel right side up, I find myself typing this from my hospital bed.

I broke my leg late Friday night during a hot game of dodge ball. It led to surgery early Saturday morning. Needless to say, things are going to be a little inconvenient over the next while.

Breaking my leg has been quite an experience so far. I’ve spent the past month studying illness, accident and hospital type vocabulary. It’s quite fitting that life has decided to throw this in my direction. I knew it was time to slow things down but this might be a little TOO slow for my liking.

I’ve been able to handle my own here at the hospital which has been rewarding. I keep reminding myself that with lows there are highs. It’s been four days of constant Chinese lessons. I remain positive by seeing how far I’ve come in the ever so slow process of tackling one of the harder languages that exists in this world.

My friends have been fantastic. I’ve had guests here more than I’ve been alone. It has allowed me to take my mind off the pain and has kept a smile on my face. I am so thankful for the people I have in my life.

Times like this make it real tough to be far from family. But then I am reminded that I have a nest of family here from all walks of life. I am touched with the amount of concern and love I’ve been shown over the past few days. And right now, despite the broken leg, I feel very lucky!

Five incisions, eighteen staples and seven stitches. X-rays and gross photos to follow soon …

4 comments :

maoman said...

A broken leg? Ouch! I'm so sorry to hear that. Take care of yourself.

Jennifer Turek said...

Thanks, Anthony ... I will do ... it's going to be a long month.

Chris w Hubbard said...

oW!!!!
no...
but.,,,, yeah... at least now you can say you did THAT!

So I guess this means we won't be going climbing anytime soon?
Can I have your gear?
:)

Jennifer Turek said...

One arm, one leg ... hopefully that will be it for this lifetime ... sad to say, no climbing for this cat for the next few weeks ... but soon.