PRO 0 — CON 2

The University has a Phys-Ed program that is a required course yet no credits are given upon completion. This suggests to me that my time is not worth anything.

The size of the gymnasium in relation to the number of students is not even comparable. There's no space for movement nor was there enough equipment.

The first part of the semester was badminton. We weren't taught the rules of the game but how to hit a shuttlecock with a racket. What? It was quite interesting to see how many students actually had trouble with this. We had a few shorts weeks to practice before the test. Yes, a test.

We had a flexibility test and a standing long jump test. I was beginning to wonder if I'd unluckily been sent back to grade two.

Volleyball was introduced after the mid-terms. Again, the rules were not taught. If you were lucky enough to get a ball, you were to bump it up and down by yourself to prepare for the test.

Each student was also required to do a sit-up test along with a running test.

TEST! TEST! TEST! I thought this was supposed to be gym class?

Shouldn't one at a university level be old to enough to decide whether they want physical activity in their life or not? I have a hard time calling what we were asked to do physical activity. It was a bit of a joke.

A large number of students had never played either sport so why not teach the rules of the game and play instead of being tested. Besides that, Taiwan really should consider introducing these types of activities at a grade school level, not University.

Due to a recent broken leg, I had a doctor's note which excused me from most of the tests. However, if you fail to complete any of the tests, you cannot graduate. Wow. I don't know what else to say here. I would prefer that my time be used more constructively.

So looking forward to next semester where we are likely to have a table tennis test. Please note sarcasm.

3 comments :

Jason said...

Jen said: "...if you fail to incomplete any of the tests...".

I think you you mean: "...if you fail to COMPLETE any of the tests..."

Engrish.

Jason said...

Jason wrote: "...I think you you meant..."

Jason meant: "...I think you meant..."

Proofread.

Jennifer Turek said...

ha ... thanks, brother.