PRO 0 — CON 1

Monday, being the first day of the week and all, seems like a good place to start. Class began at 9:10am with economics … three hours of it which was painful.

I learned that I most definitely will not be an economist which is actually fine with me. One doesn't need to be good at everything!

The course was over a sixteen-week period and ran through twenty-three chapters, including both micro and macroeconomics. Way too much questionable material in such a short time span. Should the concept of economics be taught in such a technical manner to one majoring in Journalism? Data can be found very easily online.

I do agree with key concepts being taught and understood, however, will a journalist sit down to calculate this equation: 'xY = A F(xL, xK, xH, xN)'? I neglect to see the practicality here.

I did not score well on the mid-term and the professor seemed quite surprised by my low grade. Had she taken the time to look over any of the homework that I had submitted, she would've quickly noted that I was not getting it!

And sure, I didn't put a lot of effort into the required reading nor have I done mathematics for many, many years. We were assigned homework questions each week which were to be handed in before the due date and if one did that, it was an automatic 100%. Easy.

I had advised the professor that I didn't quite understand the point of why we were learning the things we were. I also asked her why drawing supply and demand graphs would be important for a journalist? She said she would get back to me and help me understand the point. She never approached me after that. Perhaps I came off as unlikeable.

At the start of each class, I was one of the few students in my chair before the first bell rang. That must have earned me some much needed brownie points.

Finals came and went. We were tested on nine chapters of material. My understanding level was still about chapter four which meant trouble. When it came around to preparing, I realized that you can't study something if you don't understand it.

Decision-making time. An all-expense-paid company year-end party here for 2 days? Or stay at home and struggle with economics? The decision was easy.

Ever so relaxed from the hot springs, the outcome of my exam was favorable. I scored much higher than expected. My 'eeny meeny miney moe' skills have finally been perfected. Yes!

One student managed a score of 100% yet didn't answer part of a question. How is it that 100% is achievable when the test wasn't fully completed? I am confused.

No comments :