High

Taken from Merriam-Webster:
High and tall mean above the average in height. High implies marked extension upward and is applied chiefly to things which rise from a base or foundation or are placed at a conspicuous height above a lower level. Examples: a high hill or a high ceiling. Tall applies to what grows or rises high by comparison with others of its kind and usually implies relative narrowness. Example: a tall thin man.

Taken from Yahoo 字典:
高 (ㄍㄠ) (gāo) tall ; high; of a superior grade or type; (of voice) high ; loud;( Polite) your respected.

This was one of the new vocabulary words in my grade 5 class last week. When I asked one of my students to make a sentence, he responded with, "Teacher Jenny is very high."

Of course this caused a bit of a chuckle from me while another student attempted to correct this sentence by stating, "Teacher Jenny isn't high."

Still slightly giggling, I agreed, "You are right.  Teacher Jenny isn't high ... today."

How could I resist?!  It was unfortunate that I was the only one able to see the humor in this conversation!

Teaching English can be a lot of fun sometimes!

2 comments :

Nick Herman said...

Some of the textbooks at Hess were really "WTF." For one class, they had to to these tongue twister phonics practice, which is good in general..except they were nonsensical to the point that there would be sentences like: "green giant girls drink gin"

And there would be an accompanying picture.

Right.

Jennifer Turek said...

That would be a pic I'd like to see.