Tuesday April 11th, 2006

With the influx of foreigners coming through Taiwan, it seems the country is scurrying around wondering what to do with all of us. Some things are made very easy, while other things are not.

I went to get my DL today as I've been driving without a license for over a year. Now, I will say, it's not entirely my fault. You are required to have an ARC that is valid for over one year. Mine was two weeks short as that was about the time it took to process the whole thing. That and the fact that I was driving a 50cc, which does not require a license means I never really needed to get around to it. Since then, I've moved up to a 125cc, which does require a license. What I also find in my possession now is a 3-year ARC, so laziness is my only excuse for not running out and getting a license.

It seems more and more you are hearing about foreigners being pulled over to produce their license ... if you can't, they just unscrew the plate making your bike nothing more than useless. When you produce the license, they will return the plate for a small fee of $6000 NT... 不便 (bu2 bian4) ... inconvenient!

Anyway ... I'm kind of tired of feeling nervous everytime I pass a copper, so I went to get my license today. I have an online test that I've been studying from for about a month and a half. It contains questions such as so (taken directly from the website):

True or False:

Drinking hampers your vision and hinders your reaction, and increases possibilities of accidents, so, if you drink, don’t drive.

To be clean and well dressed is a common courtesy while driving.

When the fuel is on fire, you must use fire extinguisher, sand or wet cloths to put it off.

On a narrow slope, if the car driving downhill does not give way to a car driving uphill. or a uphill car does not wait a downhill car passing the slope, and try to go uphill. or a car are driving along the inside lane of the slope does not give way to a car on the outside lane will be fined.

In an intersection, when there is no traffic police nor signals, and if the two lanes are both side lanes, or main lanes, the car on the left must let the one on the right to go first.

Multiple Choice:

I am a good driver, I obey all traffic laws, I want the highway patrol to: (1) be more strict (2) be relaxed (3) just check but not report

The tip for the motorcyclist to solve complex and critical events is: (1) calm and safe (2) to be an adventurer (3) optimistic and let it be

Motorcycle stops at a motorcycle stop area, (1) stop in any lane within the stop line (2) stop in the motorcycle waiting area (3) stop in the motorcycle waiting area, but if there are too many motorcycles, fast lane is ok too

90% of the car accidents are caused by speeding, so the motorcyclist must: (1) not drive on dangerous roads (2) never speed (3) rest more

I mean, aren't all roads dangerous?? The test that I've been taking allows you to see the correct answers, thus giving you something to study from as they do not have an English manual. However, upon taking my test today, it seems that there are a few questions not offered on the website. Since I had mastered the website, I checked today to note that the last update to the English website was 2004/12/30 ... hmmm.

I got 84 ... you need 85 to pass. I can go back in one week to redo the written test ... and though it's quite far away and I'll have to pay again, I will go again with hopes of being lucky. A friend of mine has offered to redo the tests and websites in English ... for free. Great idea on his part ... I'm sorry I didn't beat him to that thought!

Anyway ... not complaining about failing ... just wanted to log some of the questions so that I can sit later in life and laugh. I wonder if one needs a license to drive in China? Oh gosh!

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

Found your blog, its pretty good, interesting to hear about life on the other side of the globe. Keep up the posting. I enjoy reading it.
Sarah

Jennifer Turek said...

Thank you, Sarah ... whereever you may be ... life on the other side is always interesting!