Sunday June 4th, 2006

Taipei 101 ... the tallest building in the world. I hear Japan is already in the process of building a taller one. I am awaiting a nice day so that I can go to the top and check out the view.

Taipei 101's basement has a grocery store called Jason's. It looks like it may be affiliated with the IGA stores ... I only say that as the logo is very similiar. This store allows one to buy lots of western things such as jalapenos and tortilla wraps and cheese. Of course you have to pay for the luxuries like salt and vinegar potato chips and spinach and balsamic ... but it makes you appreciate them that much more.

My Chinese textbook has been offering more insight into Chinese culture. I am slowly trekking my way through. I find this book to be much more difficult than the first. It can be a little overwhelming at times.

Think about this ... the area of Taiwan, not including the small islands that surround it, is 35,824 square kilometres ... population 22.9 million. The area of Vancouver Island is 32,134 square kilometres ... population of Canada, 33 million. Imagine taking almost two thirds of Canada's population and moving it all to Vancouver Island ... are you seeing a picture? To add to the amazement, two thirds of Taiwan is largely mountainous with 100 peaks over 3,000 metres. Where does it all fit, you ask? Who knows!

I've taken some time to update my photos albums. Out with some old, in with some new. I have also added maps and flags to the countries I've seen thus far. If you have a moment, please have a look through all the albums and enjoy.

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

You have a great eye for photography -- keep up the good work!

Jennifer Turek said...

Thank you ... thank you!