A place for my stuff ...

It's kind of a funny feeling knowing that I no longer have anything here in Canada. It allows me a feeling of freedom, yet it also leaves me with a feeling of loss. Stuff is a funny thing. We, as people, always have more stuff than one could possibly need. I wonder why it is that we need these material things ...

My storage locker contained 25 boxes as well as some furniture. As I looked through the boxes, each particular item brought me back to a time and a place of how it came to be with me. Some brought smiles ... others, not so much. As I looked through my things of so long ago, the memories brought a feeling of not wanting to give any of it up. I had to remind myself that I haven't lived with these things for over three years, so why the sudden thoughts of desire or need?

The other night, I was helping to put my two adorable nephews to bed and I told them the story about the boy, Hong, I had met in Cambodia ... the one I offered my pencil and paper to ... I remembered his confused face at the thought of me actually giving away, in his eyes, these valuable things. My nephews are 7 and 5 and I'm not totally sure they understood the point I was trying to get across with my story. It did remind me that stuff is only that. People hang on to so many unnecessary and more importantly, unneeded things. We feel we need these things to carry on with life, when in actuality not much is needed at all.

So ... with my storage locker empty and paid in full, with nothing left but a few small things that will join my life in Taiwan, I leave Victoria today. I will spend a few nights in Vancouver with my friend, Lea. Late Friday evening, I'll be hopping a plane to Taiwan.

This will be my last post until I arrive back home. Here's hoping for some safe travels ... see you on or from the other side.

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

Jenn, you must feel much lighter about life, no? I know you have kept some very important things, right? Things are just that, things, but thankfully, cats and people are in a different class entirely...you are one great woman.

Jennifer Turek said...

Lighter about life? I guess so ... I have kept some important things and I let some go. But I guess that's what life is about!