Fireworks Galore


Today marks the fourth day of the Chinese New Year ... the rain has set in and I'm hoping it's not here to stay. I have a 3:45pm plane to catch as I am heading to one of the islands here in Taiwan.

The weekend was spent at home, relaxing. Fireworks went off consistently, starting around 6pm and continuing into the wee hours of the mornings. Both nights I watched the sky light up every few seconds from this direction and that. It seemed there was never more than a 10 second lapse between cracks, pops and booms. Amazing if one were to consider the mass amounts of money that must have been spent on fireworks.

Monday, Vernon and Sharon had a BBQ, so I made my way into the city ... I thought my neck of the woods was loud ... oh my goodness. People were lighting fireworks off their balconies into the busy streets ... love this country!

We weren't too far into BBQing when we decided to join in the madness.


After a few close calls, we decided to take things to the park. I have attached a quick clip from last night ... please take note in the sounds around the city and remember that this has been going on for days.

Fireworks are illegal in Taipei except during Chinese New Year. I love laws with exceptions. I suppose it would be impossible to try and stop the abundance of people lighting them off. Enjoy and Happy New Year!

2 comments :

Geoff said...

It must be firework week or something. We just had a bunch go off for Family Day.

I took some pictures myself, if you want to swing by sometime and see what I got, they'll be up in a day or two.

I like your second picture there. Although, isn't it a little dangerous to be that close when they're going off?
(Actually, I shouldn't even be talking. I'm kind of an idiot when it comes to safe-zones).

Jennifer Turek said...

I'm on my way over to check out your photos ... thanks for the comment. And, yes, it is dangerous to be that close when lighting them off ... I was watching the news last night and saw that there were a few house fires due to kids lighting fireworks off of the balcony ... funny that!