Case of the missing shoes ...

Right in front of the main bazaar in Hampi stands a big temple. As a bunch of us had rented bicycles the day prior, I was a bit templed out. Going into the main courtyard was free, beyond that one has to pay 2Rs, 50Rs with a camera.

The main entrance had twenty or thirty pairs of shoes in front as you aren't allowed to wear shoes inside. I was quite good about leaving my shoes with someone to watch over them or putting them in my bag in the north. Hampi isn't a big place so I just kicked my shoes off and in I went. Two minutes later, out I come and my shoes are gone.

I felt sick. I suppose one shouldn't be so attached to a pair of shoes, but they weren't cheap and they are very practical for hiking as well as the beach. As Ash and I looked around, some kids came up to us asking what the problem was. I told them someone had taken my shoes. I wanted to cry.

Upon arrival in Hampi, each person is to check in at the small police station at the end of the bazaar. They require you to write down your passport number, where you are coming from, where you are going, dates and the name of your hotel as well as the brand of your camera. I thought this to be rather interesting.

I marched down the hot pavement in my bare feet trying to remain calm. I was very thankful to have Ash with me as I may have lost it otherwise.

Once inside the most basic police station I've ever seen, I was asked to explain my situation to a man sitting at the only desk. His first question inquired into the cost. I told him they were about $80US. Three officers were having a real laugh over this. They repeated eighty American in English three times purely for my benefit. I'm not sure if they were laughing at the fact that I'd actually spent $80US on a pair of shoes or if it was that I brought those shoes to India. Either way, I wasn't seeing the humor so much.

Their solution was that I should have left my shoes inside the main entrance where there is someone to watch over the shoes. He said they'd look for them and tried sending me on my way. I wasn't going anywhere.

I told them that you aren't supposed to wear shoes in temples and there were tons of shoes where I'd left mine. If the "tourists" aren't supposed to leave shoes at that point, then a sign should be posted to let us know. I told him this isn't good for tourism and that Hampi is a small place. I also told him that I'm sure the same kids and ladies hang around that entrance way day in and day out and I find it hard to believe someone didn't see something. At this point they (finally) asked me the brand name of shoes and to describe them. The important man with the hat behind the only desk gets up and leaves.

Another man in a hat takes his place and asks me what happened. I repeated my story and I'm sure at this point they could see I wasn't going to let this go easily. A moment later, four or five cops walk in with a little boy. My shoes are on his feet. I felt so relieved ... over shoes ... yikes!

Things got quite confusing after this. I had asked if the little boy was the one that took my shoes and the one officer said yes. The other officers then asked me to give the little boy money for returning my shoes. I was confused as to why I would pay him money for being a thief. Sure enough, I start shaking a finger at him telling him he shouldn't steal people's things. The officers then tell me that I am mistaken. A lady took my shoes and he took them from her and brought them here.

It certainly doesn't explain why they were on his feet. The officers kept saying that he was a good boy, a good boy. I was just so happy to have my shoes back that I gave the kid 100Rs and thanked him for bringing them back.

Leaving the small place, I was pretty sure it was the kid who took them and wondered if this is perhaps a common scam they have going on in Hampi. I would be surprised if the kid saw any of that 100Rs. He did run up to me halfway down the bazaar and kept saying 'no cheat, no cheat'. I tried asking him what happened but he also stated 'no English'.

It was nice to see that a system is in place and that if you are persistent enough, it works. I have decided that it might be best to buy a cheap pair of flip flops and save the Keens for hiking.

Problem solved. I'm in Mysore now and it's not a bad little place. I'll be on another (and should be my last) overnight bus tomorrow. I will find myself in Kerala first thing Friday morning.

Time for an afternoon siesta ... it's hotter than hot!

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

Jenn
Good on you Jenn. That is the way and I am glad that Ash was there to lend some support. Those shoes were important. Did you buy some cheap thongs. A friend of mine is travelling to India and I told her your thief-shoe story...she will definitely keep hers in her bag at all times. Good story and a happy ending...you are one brave woman.
Have fun...when do you hit the beach and get a chance to stay in your bathing suit for days on end?
love mom

Jennifer Turek said...

I haven't purchased cheap shoes as of yet ... but I did purchase a trip over to the islands ... leaving after a few days of living on a boat in the backwaters.

Beach should be starting on the 12th of March and finishing on the 25th of April ... ha.

Too many beaches ... so little time left ...